Report: Bok bolter Cheslin Kolbe on the cusp of Stormers return

Report: Bok bolter Cheslin Kolbe on the cusp of Stormers return

According to a report by Afrikaans publication Rapport, the 32-year-old speedster will be back on the Cape Town-based outfit's books from July 1.

The deal was achieved due to the combined efforts of the Stormers, Roc Nations Sports and a third party identified as an international sports betting company believed to be Sportybet.

The Stormers are also relying on assistance from SA Rugby through the governing body's PONI (Players of National Interest) funding structure to help afford their star acquisition.

Stormers director of rugby John Dobson has said in recent months that he sees Kolbe as part of his team's future via their Project 2029.

A third party's assistance was needed to secure Kolbe‘s return to the Stormers as he had extended his contract with Tokyo Suntory Sungoliath earlier this year until the end of the 2026/27 campaign.

"It's definitely very, very close," a reliable source told Rapport of Kolbe's move.

As part of Project 2029, Stormers stalwarts like Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, Paul de Villiers, Wandisile Simelane, Andre-Hugo Venter and Jurie Matthee have all signed new contracts with the men from the Cape in recent months.

Kolbe's return will bolster the Stormers' backline stocks, especially on the wing, where Leolin Zas and Suleiman Hartzenberg have mostly been their first-choice wings.

The Stormers were in the market to sign Dylan Maart, who enjoyed a fruitful loan stint with them earlier this season, but the Griquas wing opted to sign with the Bulls, who he will join on a two-year contract from next season.

Apart from Zas, Hartzenberg and Maart, Seabelo Senatla, Damian Willemse and Simelane have all featured on the wing for the Stormers during their 2025/26 campaign.

Kolbe will be the third high-profile South African international to return to the Stormers ahead of the 2026/27 season after Springboks skipper Siya Kolisi and tighthead prop Wilco Louw, who join from the Sharks and Bulls respectively.

On Saturday, Kolbe continued with his excellent form for Suntory Sungoliath as he contributed 20 points in their 40-35 Japan Rugby League One quarter-final triumph over BlackRams Tokyo.

Kolbe started his career as a professional rugby player with Western Province in 2012 and made his debut for the Stormers the following year before leaving in 2017 to join perennial Top 14 champions Toulouse in 2017.

In 2021, he joined fellow French heavyweights Toulon and spent two years with them before heading to Suntory Sungoliath after helping the Springboks defend their title at the 2023 Rugby World Cup in France.

Related News

Sharks lock down Bok star Vincent Tshituka on long-term deal until 2029

Sharks lock down Bok star Vincent Tshituka on long-term deal until 2029

  • 1 day ago

The Sharks confirmed on Friday that flanker Vincent Tshituka has signed a contract extension that will keep him at Kings Park until 2029.

Springbok scrumhalf stocks take another blow as Morne van den Berg ruled out

Springbok scrumhalf stocks take another blow as Morne van den Berg ruled out

  • 2 days ago

The Springboks look set to dig deeper into their scrumhalf stocks after Morne van den Berg suffered a long-term injury.

Rassie Erasmus pleased as Boks lay foundations for bumper season

Rassie Erasmus pleased as Boks lay foundations for bumper season

  • 3 days ago

Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus was satisfied with the progress made as the team wrapped up their second and final alignment camp on Thursday.

Bok prop Thomas du Toit picks dream scrummagers from wealth of experience

Bok prop Thomas du Toit picks dream scrummagers from wealth of experience

  • 3 days ago

Front-rower Thomas du Toit unsurprisingly chose a few Springbok teammates in creating his dream scrum.