'Barca or nothing': Joao Cancelo completes emotional Barcelona return

'Barca or nothing': Joao Cancelo completes emotional Barcelona return

The 32-year-old landed in Catalonia on Monday ahead of finalising his return to the club, having reached an agreement to terminate his Al-Hilal contract by mutual consent. Barcelona have been pursuing the defender for some time and after weeks of negotiations a deal has now been reached that will see him return on a free transfer.

Cancelo's arrival marks his third spell with Barcelona but his first as a permanent player. He previously spent the 2023-24 season at the club on loan from Manchester City before returning for another loan spell from Al-Hilal last January, playing under Hansi Flick.

His desire to return was evident from the outset, with Cancelo admitting that he had been willing to spend the entire 2026-27 campaign on the sidelines if Al-Hilal refused to release him.

"I'm very happy, I'm very happy to be here, I'm where I want to be," Cancelo told reporters after landing.

The full-back revealed that he had trained separately for a week as he pushed for his departure from the Saudi club, while making his position clear to Barcelona sporting director Deco.

"I told Deco that either I came here or I would spend a year there without playing while collecting my salary," he said.

The Portuguese subsequently accepted a reduction in his salary to complete the move.

"I've given up part of my salary, but it was to sign for Barca, or nothing," he added.

Related News

Barcelona complete Rodri signing as Spain star returns to LaLiga

Barcelona complete Rodri signing as Spain star returns to LaLiga

  • 53 minutes ago

Barcelona have completed the signing of Rodri from Manchester City in a deal that could rise to around £65m, bringing the Spain international back to LaLiga on a four-year contract.

Atletico coach Diego Simeone drops Julian Alvarez amid Barcelona transfer links

Atletico coach Diego Simeone drops Julian Alvarez amid Barcelona transfer links

  • 6 hours ago

Julian Alvarez will not feature in Atletico Madrid's La Liga opener against Malaga as the club continues to deal with uncertainty over the striker's future.

Borussia Dortmund target signing Barcelona full-back Hector Fort

Borussia Dortmund target signing Barcelona full-back Hector Fort

  • 9 hours ago

Borussia Dortmund have reportedly made Barcelona defender Hector Fort their top target to strengthen at right-back this transfer window.

Rodri lands in Barcelona to seal 'dream move' from Man City

Rodri lands in Barcelona to seal 'dream move' from Man City

  • 13 hours ago

Rodri has arrived in Barcelona to complete his move from Manchester City to the La Liga champions after one of the summer's biggest transfer sagas reached its final stage.