Real Madrid and Barcelona learn fate after UEFA Champions League draw
The five La Liga sides taking part in the 2025/2026 UEFA Champions League have learnt their fate after the draw for the continental showpiece took place on Thursday evening.
Defender Andreas Christensen, with only one year left on his contract, has emerged as a target for AC Milan, who are reportedly plotting a late transfer swoop.
The 29-year-old Danish centre-back, who previously starred at Chelsea, has been a reliable performer for Barcelona despite injury setbacks.
According to Italian journalist Pietro Balzano, Milan see Christensen as a cost-effective addition to bolster their defence with his proven experience. "Milan are keen on signing an experienced central defender this summer, and Christensen is among the candidates," Balzano said.
Barcelona, however, are hesitant to let Christensen go. The departure of Inigo Martinez to Al-Nassr earlier this window, where he forgave all remaining wages for 2025 and 2026, has already eased some financial pressure, freeing up 12-14 million euros in salary space.
Sporting director Deco had targeted one centre-back exit, and Martinez's move was unexpected, given his key role in last season's domestic treble. "Martinez's departure was a painful loss," a club source noted, highlighting his importance to Hansi Flick's squad.
With five central defenders still on the books, Christensen, Ronald Araujo, Pau Cubarsi, Eric Garcia, and Jules Kounde, Barcelona have depth, but Garcia and Kounde are expected to play right-back this season. Youngster Gerard Martin is also being groomed as a centre-back option, adding flexibility.
Despite this, Christensen's camp remains firm. "He wants to see out his contract at Barcelona," a source close to the player said, rebuffing interest from Milan and earlier approaches from Saudi Arabia and the Premier League.
Milan's interest adds intrigue as the transfer window nears its close. Christensen's potential exit would provide Barcelona with vital financial relief but could weaken their defensive core. For now, the Catalans are weighing their options, balancing ambition with La Liga's rigid regulations.