Harry Maguire hopes 'huge threat' Marcus Rashford remains at Man Utd

Harry Maguire hopes 'huge threat' Marcus Rashford remains at Man Utd

Rashford made his first United appearance since December 2024 on Saturday, coming off the bench in the 4-2 pre-season defeat by AC Milan. The 28-year-old spent the second half of last season on loan at Aston Villa before moving to Barcelona, but the LaLiga champions decided against signing him permanently.

His return to United has therefore been a major talking point during pre-season, although Carrick has yet to confirm whether Rashford will remain beyond the September 1 transfer deadline.

Maguire, however, believes United would benefit from keeping the England international.

"Obviously the transfer window is still open," Maguire said. "As players, we hope he stays because if he does, he is a big asset to have. He can improve us for sure.

"You saw when he came on, he threatened the backline really well. He could have scored. He's a huge threat."

Rashford was handed the No.9 shirt against Milan and showed glimpses of his attacking ability during his 30-minute appearance. United have stressed that the number is not necessarily permanent, with Benjamin Sesko, who had been expected to take the shirt, unavailable because of injury.

The forward's involvement nevertheless suggested he remains part of Carrick's thinking, although United have not completely closed the door on a transfer.

Maguire, who has played alongside Rashford for several years, also believes having the striker back in training can benefit the rest of the squad.

"I've played with Marcus for numerous years and I know that playing against him and playing with him in training is going to help us," he added.

Carrick was again non-committal about Rashford's future after the Milan defeat.

"A lot of the boys will be better for the minutes," he said. "We've got a good squad, so there are decisions to be made."

For now, Rashford appears increasingly likely to remain at Old Trafford, with his teammates clearly eager to see him given the opportunity to rediscover his best form. However, until the transfer window closes, his United future remains unresolved.

Related News

Lille boss confirms Man City in talks with Moroccan starlet Ayyoub Bouaddi

Lille boss confirms Man City in talks with Moroccan starlet Ayyoub Bouaddi

  • 16 hours ago

Manchester City are pushing ahead with their pursuit of Lille midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi, with Lille head coach Davide Ancelotti confirming negotiations for the highly rated 18-year-old.

Cristian Romero pens farewell message to Tottenham ahead of Atletico Madrid move

Cristian Romero pens farewell message to Tottenham ahead of Atletico Madrid move

  • 16 hours ago

Cristian Romero has confirmed his departure from Tottenham Hotspur as he prepares to join Atletico Madrid after five years in north London.

Aston Villa goalkeeper Emi Martinez nearing transfer to Serie A giants Juventus

Aston Villa goalkeeper Emi Martinez nearing transfer to Serie A giants Juventus

  • 21 hours ago

Emiliano Martinez is edging closer to a move to Juventus, with the Italian giants stepping up their efforts to sign the Aston Villa goalkeeper as the Premier League club prepares for life without him.

Inter Milan complete signing of Tottenham defender Djed Spence

Inter Milan complete signing of Tottenham defender Djed Spence

  • 20 hours ago

Djed Spence has completed his 30 million pound move from Tottenham to Inter Milan, ending his four-year spell in north London after establishing himself as an England international.