Jamal Musiala reveals 'treatable seizures' condition after two on-field collapses

Jamal Musiala reveals 'treatable seizures' condition after two on-field collapses

The Bayern Munich midfielder was forced to leave Tuesday's friendly against Heidenheim after falling to the ground just minutes after being introduced as a substitute. Players from both sides formed a circle around the 23-year-old as he received medical attention before he was helped from the pitch.

The incident came just days after Musiala had also collapsed during Bayern's 3-1 friendly victory over RB Leipzig.

Musiala subsequently addressed the situation on Instagram, explaining that he had been diagnosed with brief, temporary but treatable absence seizures.

"I understand that many of you are worried. I would like to put those concerns to rest today and explain the situation," Musiala wrote.

"I have been diagnosed with brief, temporary - but treatable - absence seizures resulting from a neurological dysfunction.

"These can lead to the kind of incidents seen recently, such as during the match against Leipzig or the game in Heidenheim."

The Germany international said he understood why the episodes had appeared alarming but insisted he remained positive about his condition and was receiving specialist care.

"I know they might look alarming at first glance, but for me, they are currently part of my everyday life," he added. "I am receiving excellent medical care and remain very optimistic. FC Bayern and my personal support network are right by my side, helping me through this."

Musiala also confirmed that, after consulting neurologists, he intends to continue playing football and said there was no further health risk involved.

"With the medical clearance of the neurologists, I want to continue doing what helps my recovery most: simply living my life and pursuing my passion for playing football," he said.

"I have taken full responsibility for this decision. Overall, I feel very positive and am on the right track."

Bayern sporting director Max Eberl had already indicated after Tuesday's game that the club was aware of Musiala's condition and that the player would explain the situation himself.

"We knew about it and we are aware of the situation," Eberl said.

Musiala has asked for the matter to remain largely private, saying he wants details shared only with his family, close friends, Bayern and his medical team.
 

Related News

Joey Veerman completes Borussia Dortmund move from PSV

Joey Veerman completes Borussia Dortmund move from PSV

  • 1 day ago

Borussia Dortmund have completed the signing of Joey Veerman from PSV Eindhoven, with the Netherlands international joining the German club on a five-year contract.

Borussia Dortmund target signing Barcelona full-back Hector Fort

Borussia Dortmund target signing Barcelona full-back Hector Fort

  • 1 day ago

Borussia Dortmund have reportedly made Barcelona defender Hector Fort their top target to strengthen at right-back this transfer window.

Harry Kane confirms talks towards Bayern Munich contract extension

Harry Kane confirms talks towards Bayern Munich contract extension

  • 1 day ago

Harry Kane has confirmed that talks over a new contract with Bayern Munich are set to begin after he returned from his holiday.

Borussia Dortmund sign playmaker Giannis Konstantelias from PAOK

Borussia Dortmund sign playmaker Giannis Konstantelias from PAOK

  • 1 day ago

Borussia Dortmund have completed the signing of Greek attacking midfielder Giannis Konstantelias from PAOK, with the 23-year-old committing his future to the Bundesliga club on a long-term contract.