New head coach Igor Tudor '100 percent' certain Tottenham will avoid relegation

New head coach Igor Tudor '100 percent' certain Tottenham will avoid relegation

Spurs are just five points above the drop zone following the dismissal of Thomas Frank after eight months in charge. Tudor, who has previously managed Marseille, Lazio and Juventus, steps in at a critical moment - and faces leaders Arsenal in his first match on Sunday.

But the 47-year-old insists survival talk is irrelevant to his approach.

"This is not important," Tudor said when asked about a relegation battle. "The position is always a consequence of what you do during the week and on Sunday. I never speak about results at the end of the season. I believe in today's training."

Tottenham's domestic form has been alarming. Since November they have won just two of 17 league matches, collecting only four points from a possible 24 in 2026. Their last Premier League victory came on 28 December at Crystal Palace.

Compounding the challenge is a severe injury crisis. Tudor revealed he has been training with just 13 players, with 10 first-team members unavailable. Cristian Romero is suspended, while James Maddison, Pedro Porro, Dejan Kulusevski, Mohamed Kudus and Lucas Bergvall are among those sidelined. Dominic Solanke is expected to return after illness.

"It's a very rare situation," Tudor said. "We trained with 13 players. It's not beautiful, but it is an even bigger challenge to succeed and come out from this situation. Thirteen is quite enough to achieve what we want on Sunday."

Rather than tactical overhauls, Tudor says his first objective is cultural.

"It is not about systems," he explained. "It is important to become a team in the right meaning of the word - a team that wants to suffer, to fight, to run, to have the right mentality. The people come before the football player. The start is always about mentality."

A former Croatia international and Juventus defender, Tudor is determined to make an immediate impact, but insists enjoyment is secondary to responsibility.

"I'm not here to enjoy it, I'm here to work," he said. "It's a fantastic club, but there is work to do."

With Spurs hovering dangerously close to the bottom three, Tudor's confidence is unwavering. Pressed again on whether Tottenham will remain in the Premier League next season, his response was emphatic: "100 per cent."

Related News

Pep Guardiola admits Rodri return was 'too early' as Man City brace for Newcastle clash

Pep Guardiola admits Rodri return was 'too early' as Man City brace for Newcastle clash

  • 1 hour ago

Pep Guardiola has admitted that Rodri returned from injury "too early" but insisted the Manchester City midfielder is steadily rediscovering his best form ahead of Saturday night's clash with Newcastle United.

Liam Rosenior backs Liam Delap to "really take off" next season at Chelsea

Liam Rosenior backs Liam Delap to "really take off" next season at Chelsea

  • 49 minutes ago

Liam Rosenior has insisted Liam Delap could "really take off" next season as the Chelsea coach backed the striker to respond to a frustrating first year at Stamford Bridge.

Mikel Arteta says 'Arsenal must act, not talk' in Tottenham Derby clash

Mikel Arteta says 'Arsenal must act, not talk' in Tottenham Derby clash

  • 22 hours ago

Ahead of Sunday's North London Derby with Tottenham, Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta urged his squad to turn the "pain" of their 2‑2 draw at Wolves into a strong response.

John Stones backs 'incredible signing' Marc Guehi as Man City eye more silverware

John Stones backs 'incredible signing' Marc Guehi as Man City eye more silverware

  • 1 day ago

John Stones believes Manchester City's relentless pursuit of trophies will be strengthened further by the arrival of Marc Guehi, insisting his England team-mate will be "an incredible signing" for the club.